Poor image quality on Thinkpad T60 notebook WXSGA+ w/ Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 00:27:42 PST 2007

On 2/6/07, Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> That sure looks like it should have worked. I'm wondering how old that
> package is though; we had a lot of ordering issues in setting the LVDS
> registers which often caused a nice black screen at startup time. I'm
> currently using 785a59ead0e8d1d681b2cb6827ee58ad2c51f8c6, which I
> committed a few days ago.
>
> Of course, I'm also using the server-1.2-branch X server, which includes
> RandR 1.2 bits, but I don't think that should have an effect on the
> startup configuration (famous last words).
>
> If you can, please update to the current video driver and see if that
> still works. Yes, this will involve building it from git...

This modular X stuff is really fantastic. It took me only about 5
minutes from getting your email to running the
785a59ead0e8d1d681b2cb6827ee58ad2c51f8c6 checkin.

And the good news is that it comes up.
At first it came up with a screwed up image that made me think of a
texturing problem (running the compix "desktop effects" stuff)... so I
uncommented the videoram line and it came up.

However, image is still color deprived (still seeing banding
indicative of 16bit mode).

For your reference, here is the output (in the working config):
http://pastebin.ca/342402