Major stability issues with xf86-video-intel 2.2.0 when using Xv

Sergio Monteiro Basto sergio at sergiomb.no-ip.org
Mon Dec 31 11:51:32 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 14:27 +1100, Drew Parsons wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 02:01 +0000, Sergio Monteiro Basto wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 01:51 +1100, Drew Parsons wrote:
> > > Hi Sergio, do you mean that, when using git for everything, you have a
> > > consistently successful suspend/resume on an intel 855 chip?
> >
> > No, I mean when we talking about: "Major stability issues with
> > xf86-video-intel 2.2.0" , we should talk about compile video-drv with
> > stable branch of xserver.
> > and I mean if you are trying xserver from git, you need many thing from
> > gits like Mesa and drm.
> >

> Ah OK.  I'm using mostly-stable versions too (apart from specific
> commits cherry-picked from git), so we're doing the same thing there.
> For me mesa is way too scary to build straight from git ;)
>
> > About suspend/resume,I don't need a new drm or libdrm.  I had some
> > problem with kernel-2.6.22 that was fix on 2.6.23, but with 2.6.23 I had
> > a regression on black-light.
> > - hibernation works well.
> > - suspend to ram, after resume, I had to go to console (ctrl+alt+F1) and
> > return to X (ctrl+alt+F7), to get back the screen.
>
> I haven't checked the backlight in detail so I don't know about that.
> Hibernation (S4 suspend-to-disk) works flawlessly for me too.
>
> S3 suspend-to-ram is the one I have problems with, going to console and
> back does not fix it for me.
>
> > My laptop is one hp-compaq nx6110, what is yours ?
>
> Mine is an IBM R51 Thinkpad with Intel(R) 855GME.

Sorry, I just see your message today, (I like being add in CC to have
the email directly :) ).

On Redhat and Kernel bugzilla etc, I saw some reports about Thinkpads
(Lenovos) with same or similar issues,  but here (in this mailing list)
the question is:
If Intel video drive have problems that prevents you to suspend and/or
hibernation your laptop and my guess is no.

So, put your laptop level 3, with command "init 3" and without X can you
suspend yours laptop ?
IIRC, you write in one case you got a success suspend, do you remember
what was the version of your kernel?. I think this issue depends more on
kernel version.

Regards,
--
Sérgio M. B.