[ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-ati 6.7.197

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 12:06:18 PST 2007

On Dec 22, 2007 1:58 PM, Sverre Froyen <sverre at viewmark.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 20 December 2007, Alex Deucher wrote:
> > Another RC release.  Lots of stuff fixed and new features.  See the
> > changelog for more.  Highlights:
>
> Hi Alex,
>
> For some reason, the patch to restore the display upon exiting the X server,
> and which worked well in the 6.6.3 and 6.6.99 drivers, no longer works in the
> 6.7 drivers that I have tried (6.7.195 and 6.7.197).  The patch was
> officially included in the ati driver in

The driver has changed substantially since then.

> commit 80eee856938756e1222526b6c39cee8b5252b409
> Author: Matthieu Herb <>
> Date:   Tue Oct 9 16:17:50 2007 -0400
>
>     RADEON: fix console restore on netbsd
>
>       Include the mode restore bugfix from monolithic Xorg, that is derived
>       from the version in xsrc which in turn was provided by Matthieu Herb
>       over 3 years ago on the XFree86 lists. Suggested by various
>       developers, hold-back due to the working state in xorg-server 1.1.1.
>       Tracing down the exact change showed that the changed default color
>       depth made this issue a lot more prominent again. Discussed with Eric
>       Anholt.

So this patch makes no difference?  I thought you told me it fixed
your problems when I applied it.  That's why I applied it.

> I attempted to print out the the content of the saved data right after the
> call to vgaHWSave and right before the call to vgaHWRestore (in radeon.c) and
> it looks like it's been modified in between the two calls (this could, of
> course, be a misunderstanding on my part).

TBH, I doubt the vga regs are at fault.  We deal with a lot more state
than the previous driver did so there is probably some new reg or regs
that need to be restored in a particular way to fix console restore.

> It would be nice to get this issue resolved before the new driver is
> officially released.

Of course.  The best bet for tracking this down is to try and find a
recent-ish (6.7.19x version) of the driver that works for you.  then
use git bisect to try and track down what commit broken things.

Alex