VGA arbiter: removing RAC

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Wed Dec 19 18:47:48 PST 2007

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 12:14:51AM -0200, Tiago Vignatti wrote:
> Hi Luc,
>
> Luc Verhaegen escreveu:
> >How compatible is this module? Against which kernels is it known to
> >build and work?
>
> Currently the arbiter itself is a module and I'm building it using Linux
> 2.6.22.7. As I said in other email, the idea now is to see how DRI will
> fit when the arbiter is active. Probably some hang ups will occur due
> interruption things. After this, we'll post into lkml for a review of
> the people there. For now you can see the code here:
>
>     git-clone http://www.inf.ufpr.br/ribas/repos/vga-module.git

Have you tried building it against a few kernels on machines you have
access to or are in your vicinity?

On the quick git-clone and make (on openSUSE 10.2) i did before i wrote
the previous email (given, without reading up on anything), the build
was missing some defines already. I quickly scrolled through the readme
and nothing came to my attention that explained how portable this was
within even x86 linux kernels.

> >How hard is it to switch between this and RAC when the X server is
> >started? At least for the time being. This because i fear that going
> >for build time only immediately is too big a leap. After most of the
> >initial pain is over, buildtime seems like the way to go.
>
> I can't imagine in the top of my head how we can set a hook telling the
> server that we want this or that function when the server is running.
> Any hints here?

Oh, i meant s/started/starting/, as in, before going into driver
probing. Trying to switch between two different io arbitration systems
any later doesn't make too much sense for me :)

Luc Verhaegen.
SUSE/Novell X Driver Developer.