VGA arbiter: removing RAC

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Wed Dec 19 17:48:26 PST 2007

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 10:43:58PM -0200, Tiago Vignatti wrote:
> Joerg Sonnenberger escreveu:
> > On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 08:45:53PM -0200, Tiago Vignatti wrote:
> >> The Resource Access Control inside Xorg is the guy responsible to take
> >> care of the various resources of memory and to share them in a wise
> >> manner when two or more graphics devices are active (think multi-head).
> >> As an alternative from RAC we can rely on VGA arbiter.
> >
> > How much work is the kernel part of the arbiter? You know, the Xserver
> > is not only used on Linux :-)
>
> git-clone http://www.inf.ufpr.br/ribas/repos/vga-module.git
>
> for more info about the code, please see
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2007-November/030420.html
>
> And yes, unfortunately we will need to keep the RAC module together with
> the VGA arbiter inside Xorg for some time due the portability of Xorg.
> Probably let autoconf set if Xorg needs RAC or the arbiter depending the
> OS would be fine and easy to do.
>

> Cheers,
>
> --
> Tiago Vignatti

How compatible is this module? Against which kernels is it known to
build and work?

How hard is it to switch between this and RAC when the X server is
started? At least for the time being. This because i fear that going
for build time only immediately is too big a leap. After most of the
initial pain is over, buildtime seems like the way to go.

Luc Verhaegen.
SUSE/Novell X Driver Developer.