Adding xinput to apps

pcpa at mandriva.com.br pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Tue Dec 18 22:12:23 PST 2007

>>   Can you post a git url for dummies? :-) Otherwise I can wait until
>> tomorrow if it will go to xorg/apps.
>
> git://people.freedesktop.org/~whot/xinput.git

  Thanks, weird, in my first attempt to "clone" I got an error about
non existant repository, maybe I messed up things here.

>>   I have basically nil knowledge about the internals of xinput, but
>> I have interest on knowing it is working, so I want at least to
>> see what is being worked on :-)
>
> it's a fairly straightforward codebase. xinput is nothing more than a
> commandline wrapper for parts of libXi.

  Well, by changing BOOL to Bool and #if 0'ing list.c "if (daemon)..." I
could compile it and make some tests, i.e. list devices and use the test
option to map to the extended devices and actually map to my normal mouse.
  The daemon variable is also not initialized, so I think you are still
working on it :-)

  As I said, I have pretty much nil knowledge about XInput, but from
a quick view of the source, it may be a good idea to have it available,
unless it is choosen to do something like you said, and remove the
modules broken in branch 1.4, but again, after some "overview" on the
code of some input modules, this doesn't look like a wise idea as it looks
like code that used to work for several years, so maybe there is some
magic that can be done to make 1.4 work as 1.3, or earlier regarding to
extended input devices, i.e. some kind of compat mode.

Paulo