Status of EXA with intel-2.2.0

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Mon Dec 17 15:48:45 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 10:10 -0800, Eric Anholt wrote:

> EXA is a major performance improvement over XAA on my non-965 systems.

It's most certainly not on mine. Our in-house Gtk2 app has a notebook
with a number of pages. With the 2.2 driver and EXA, you can actually
see each widget being rendered when you switch pages, which takes about
2-3 seconds. It's painful. With XAA, it used to be quite snappy ( pretty
much instant ). I can't use XAA, because it causes X to lock when compiz
starts. Unfortunately I also can't downgrade to 2.1.x because I have to
downgrade mesa, and last time I tried that, I lost 3D acceleration
altogether, and instead of trying to figure out why, I just restored
everything to it's previous state and got back to work.

Anyway, without complaining too much ( I realise I'm running unstable
software, etc, etc ... I'm mainly responding to the comment at the
top ), let me just say that EXA is a MAJOR performance regression on my
system.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer