xorg Digest, Vol 29, Issue 62

Richard Goedeken SirRichard at fascinationsoftware.com
Thu Dec 13 05:36:55 PST 2007

> Hi,
>
> I'm having the exact same issue on Ubuntu gutsy and hardy with the same AOpen Mini PC. Hardy uses the 2.2.0 tag.
> Which should include those fixes. Video comes on during boot on TV if nothing else is connected, but as soon as the
> x drivers init, screen turns of.
>
> According to log, everything seem to have gone allright, and X has been started, but as said, there is no output on
> the SVIDEO/COMPOSITE or COMPONENT outputs.
>
> Some friends of mines have been able to get the exact same type of Mini PC to display with ubuntu gutsy. I've tried
> with exact same drivers/xorg.conf with not luck. One potential issue could be that this system have been booted
> with windows on it, so maybe it has changes something in the display driver.
>
> I've supplied xorg.conf, log and xrandr outuput. Hopefully this could give somebody an idea
>
> The fix for ignoring the LVDS output on these mainboards doesn't seem to be working either. It's still listed by
> xrandr if you don't ignore it in xorg.conf

I have been able to make the TV output work on this device only by doing the following:

1. Use the attached xorg.conf
2. Connect only the component cables - no VGA, DVI, etc. (Composite also works but display quality is bad - there is
some color pulsing effect)
3. Screen will go blank when X is starting.  I must press Ctrl-alt-F1, wait a second, Ctrl-alt-F7, wait a second, repeat
until display shows up.

I have filed a bug (#13611) to track these issues.  I have never been able to get VGA+TV to work even with all kinds of
xrandr resolution and mode setting.

Richard