Resolution problem with i810

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Wed Dec 12 15:06:24 PST 2007

On 2007/12/13 17:48 (GMT+1930) Rafael Mejías apparently typed:

> Hi. I'm having a problem. I own a Gateway Laptop Computer M305S with
> an Intel 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Card. I'm using Debian Etch
> with 2.6.18-5-686 Kernel and I can't get a resolution bigger than
> 800x600 (I know that it works with at least 1024x768 resolution on
> WinXp).

> I'd really like to know what do I need to do in order to get a higher
> resolution:

> Do I need
> - a newer kernel?
> - a newer xserver-xorg?
> - new drivers for my card?
> - all of the above?
> - more than the above?
> - a new computer???

> I've found little documentation on the Internet about this exact
> problem. Some say that I need to perform so many steps that is better
> to forget it... I've even tried a Debian Lenny Live CD with better
> results but I was not able to install it on my laptop.

> Is it possible to achieve 1024x768 without having to install a new system?

97%+ probability you only need an adjustment or two or three in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf. Intel is often a problem to get set up initially, for
various reasons, but generally works fine once configured. I have Etch and
Kubuntu and more running on i815 video, and Kubuntu, Mandriva & OpenSUSE on
i845G.

HorizSync looks suspiciously low to me, so I suspect you might be able to get
1024x768 by merely changing

	HorizSync	28-49
	HorizSync	28-75

If that fails to get the job done, try switching in Section "Device" from

	Driver "i810"
	Driver "intel"

If that fails, try adding to Section "Device":

	Option "NoDDC"

If it doesn't help, remove it, and check for a motherboard BIOS upgrade.

If none of the above works, try grafting in the complete sections of the
following from xorg.conf from a Lenny boot:

Section "Device"
Section "Monitor"
Section "Screen"

>From Section "Screen" you can safely omit all subsections except those for
the DefaultDepth. Nothing in Section "Files" is relevant either, so that can
be left out if you need to paste again.

> Here's is my xorg.conf and the log (sorry; they're very long but I'm desperate):

If you have any personal web space, better to put there and just include a
link in the email.

Don't forget to back up xorg.conf before changing it.
--
"   Our Constitution was made only for a moral
and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409