Major stability issues with xf86-video-intel 2.2.0 when using Xv

Rémi Cardona remi at gentoo.org
Tue Dec 11 23:03:50 PST 2007

Hi all,

We've recently updated the intel driver to 2.2.0 in Gentoo and while the
overall experience is fine, Xv support on my 855 had major regressions
since 2.1.1

Usually, playing a video will crash X at some point without any user
input (after something like 10 to 20 minutes). If I touch the video
program - totem or mplayer in my trials - like minimizing or putting
another window in front of it, or switching VT, then X will crash a few
seconds to a few minutes after restarting playback. (or even
instantaneously if the video is still running)

Most of the time, only X crashes (with a randomly colorful screen) but
sometimes X will freeze the whole machine.

Attached is a Xorg log of one of my many crashes. It's the only log I
managed to get, since all other crashes produced no output whatsoever.

What's changed wrt Xv support since 2.1 on 855? Are there any
alternatives to git-bisect to help find the change?

Cheers,

--
Rémi Cardona
LRI, Université Paris-Sud