MacBook Intel GMA950 w/ Dell 2407WFP - resolution problem

Joseph Alten joeprogrammer70 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 17:57:02 PST 2007

On 11-Dec-07, at 6:50 AM, Andreas Schildbach wrote:

> Sounds like you are using the -i810 driver, with which it is next to
> impossible to exactly get the signal the 2407FPW needs (I tried
> with the
> 2405 though).
>
> You should use the -intel driver, if possible.

Well, I actually was using the xf86-video-intel driver, but your
suggestion gave me an idea. I thought my driver might be out of date,
so I tried compiling the latest source code from
intellinuxgraphics.org, and all of a sudden it worked! So, a big
thank you.

One last thing... the resolution isn't set at 1920x1200 by default --
so I have to set it manually with xrandr each time I start X. Here's
the relevant sections from my xorg.conf:

Section "Device"

         Identifier     "Intel 945G "
         Driver         "intel"

	Option "monitor-LVDS" "Builtin"
	Option "monitor-TMDS-1" "External Monitor"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier      "Builtin"
         Option "PreferredMode" "1280x800"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier      "External Monitor"
	VendorName	"DEL"
	ModelName	"DELL 2407WFP"

	Option "LeftOf" "Builtin"
	Option "PreferredMode" "1920x1200"
EndSection

Section "Screen"

         Identifier    "Default Screen"
         Device        "Intel 945G"
         Monitor       "Builtin"
	Monitor       "External Monitor"

         DefaultDepth  24

         SubSection "Display"

                 Depth          24
                 Modes         "1920x1200" "1600x1200" "1680x1050"
"1280x800"  "1024x768"   "640x480"

                 # This optional entry specifies the virtual screen
resolution to be used.
                 # If this entry is not present, the virtual screen
resolution will be set to
                 # accommodate all the valid video modes given in the
Modes entry.
                 # There is a known issue that DRI doesn't work on
pre-965 if maximum is larger than 2048x2048.

                 Virtual                 2560 2560

         EndSubSection

EndSection

When I run xrandr with no arguments after starting X, it says that
TMDS-1 is at some weird resolution, like 1152x700, but it always
shows whatever resolution I set as 'PreferredMode' at the top of the
available resolutions list. I must be missing something here.

Thanks again,

Joe