Request to reconfigure the list with [xorg] in subject line

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Dec 3 22:59:58 PST 2007

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> > The reason why I ask for [xorg] (or any other appropriate short unique
> > descriptor) in the subject line is it makes it much easier to sort out
> > this
> > list traffic from other lists I am subscribed to. This is a pretty
> > standard
> > convention that most lists use, and I would very much appreciate it if
> > this
> > list was configured to follow that convention as well.
>
> +1.  Most of us process mail a first pass based on the subject.

You've conducted a survey? Or are you just assuming that most people
work the way you do?

> For
> example, any message directly sent to me should get read while mailing
> list messages with subject lines I'm not interested in are typically get
> deleted right away....

The subject line won't tell you whether the mail was sent directly to
you or came via the mailing list. Nothing stops someone from sending
you a private reply with the [xorg] still in the subject line.

> xorg is one of the few lists I'm on that doesn't
> have a subject line indicator.

For me, it's about 50/50.