Request to reconfigure the list with [xorg] in subject line

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Mon Dec 3 13:50:05 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 22:19 +0100, Luc Verhaegen wrote:

> The most important reason is this: this change would mean that Xorg
> would become slightly less chauvinistic. Most projects i track do have
> [] in front, the only exceptions being lkml and some x related lists.
> Maybe it would be good if we stepped off our pedestal and acted like a
> normal open source project.

WTF?

The only pedestal I see is the other way around, ie people who demand
redundant text be placed in the subject of every message, just so *they*
can then refuse to use filtering software that's now in every
practically every email client ( and some IMAP servers ). I am honestly
gobsmacked that some people insist on subscribing to mailing lists AND
performing manual filtering.

Anyway, let's spare a thought for people who can't afford brand new 22i
LCD widescreen monitors, and would prefer to have the subject, just the
subject, and nothing but the subject, in the 'subject' field.

As for the bit about acting like normal open-source projects, I'm
subscribed to 33 mailing lists, covering 24 projects, and the ONLY
mailing lists that put the name of the mailing list in the subject field
are the OpenOffice mailing lists, and they screw it up anyway ( they
don't put the full name, but a single word such as 'users', 'discuss' ).

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer
email: dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au