Final call: Nominations for X.Org Foundation Board

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Dec 2 19:02:47 PST 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 22:29 +0100, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 21:42:53 -0800
>
> > Nominations for the 2007 election are currently open and
> > will remain open until 23.59 GMT on Saturday 1 December
> > 2007.
>
> Dear Barton, dear Keith,
>
> I think there is a serious problem with a nomination process that is
> announced on a Friday evening, with the deadline on Saturday.

Perhaps you missed the earlier announcements then, or perhaps you were
caught by our mistake in sending the announcements only to the xorg@
list and not the members@ list.

> I am fully convinced that this is simply a mistake, and that there is
> no intention to limit the nominees.  However, I believe that this
> mistake should be fixed, lest the governance process of X.Org go the
> way of XFree86.

There certainly wasn't any intention to restrict nominations; such are
welcome for any X.org member (and, if necessary, can even be sent in
conjunction with a membership application). In past elections, we've had
trouble finding enough people willing to serve; we're fortunate this
time not to have this particular problem, but even still, having real
choices can only serve to improve the content and performance of the
board.

> I would like to request that the nominations deadline should be
> extended by a week at least.

This is certainly possible, especially given our own error mentioned
above. We're interested in having as wide a representation as possible,
a broad range of views has certainly helped our organization already.

If you do have nomination suggestions, please send them along in any
case.

keith.packard at intel.com