Intel driver problem with TV output

rglowery at exemail.com.au rglowery at exemail.com.au
Sun Dec 2 16:02:22 PST 2007

> Hello,
>
> I am setting up an HTPC using an AOpen MiniPC (GM965 chipset, X3100
> accelerator) loaded with Fedora 8 and I'm having
> numerous problems with the video drivers.  The major problem is that I
> can't get the TV output working.  I have tried
> with both the current software in the Fedora 8 repository (xorg server
> 1.3.0.0-33.fc8 and xorg-drv-i810 2.1.1-7.fc8) and
> the latest in the Fedora 9 (rawhide) repository (xorg server
> 1.4.99.1-0.10.fc9 and xorg-drv-i810 2.2.0-1.fc9).  I have
> attached the config and log files from the Fedora 8 setup.

Hi Richard,

I am using the AOpen MP965-DR MiniPC with Ubuntu Gutsy and MythTV.  There
were various issues with TVOut I had to work through in the 2.1.0 intel
driver to get things going including
1) XServer crash due to the prev field being uinitialized in
i830_tv_get_modes()
2) LVDS output being enabled (This PC does not have a local display)
3) Washed out colours due to incorrect default brightness
4) Missing 1920x1080 TV Out mode (if this is relvant to you)

All of these fixes have been incorporated into the 2.2.0 release.  There
still seems to be some instability with the TV output not coming up all of
the time.  Disabling the VGA output in xorg.conf seems to help (I only use
TMDS-1 (DVI) and TV outputs), although perhaps 20% of the time, it still
does not come up for me.  Restarting X a few times usually resolves this
issue.   There also seems to be some geometry/black bar issues that I am
still investigating.

To enable TV Output over component, I use the following command

xrandr --output TV --set TV_FORMAT 576p --auto

substituting 576p for PAL also works for me.  These are the only 2 modes
my CRT TV supports.

HTH

-Rob