Xorg Input Hotplugging

Pixel pixel at mandriva.com
Sat Dec 1 11:17:01 PST 2007

>> Should not it be actually "evdev" always? As evdev is really the only driver
>> that would work?

agreed. IMO XkbModel should not even be supported by evdev driver

Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> writes:

[...]

>> Simillar problems will happen with the keyboard, like arrow keys
>> not working, in my case it was mapping to Print Screen, and calling
>> ksnapshot when running kde.
>
> That's just your XKB model being set wrong.  I know the underlying
> infrastructure works, because I've tested with multiple keyboards having
> different layouts, etc.

agreed. the "arrow keys" syndrom :)

it is caused by apps like gnome-keyboard-properties which sets the xkb
model when the user asked for some "internet" keyboard model.
(cf http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2007-November/030433.html)

out of the 134 "model"s possible (rules/xorg.lst), 127 are based on
keycodes/xfree86. if you apply one of these 127 models to a evdev
keyboard, you can be *sure* it will be wrong.

here is the list of keysyms that will *always* be broken when applying
a keycodes/xfree86 based model on evdev keyboard:

: Home Up Prior Left Right End Down Next Insert Delete
: KP_Enter KP_Divide XF86_Ungrab KP_Equal
: Mode_switch Control_R ISO_Level3_Shift Super_L Multi_key Menu
: Pause Break Print Sys_Req

internet & multimedia keys will always be broken too.