New -amd Maintainer (was Re: [Info-linux] Announcement)

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Fri Aug 31 18:08:54 PDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 07:46:59PM -0400, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> However, I'd like to discuss this recent patch that brings
> in a dozen auto-generated files under version control:
>
>   http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/driver/xf86-video-amd.git;a=commitdiff;h=b29cce202abb0c6afb30ec1f06c98d7f84e8d2e4
>
> Is this intentional?  What's the purpose?
>
> Most projects today follow the convention not to keep any generated
> files under version control, because it causes too many spurious
> differences and, hence, merge conflicts.

Indeed, not only should generated files never be committed to revision
control for myriad reasons, the autogen.sh should be reverted to the
standard version, and you should use the standard Makefile.am hook for
generating changelogs (look in libXi, for example), so that they get
generated and included with the distribution tarball, rather than
relying on chance and autogen.sh.

Cheers,
Daniel