synaptics broken against xserver git?

Andrew J. Barr andrew.james.barr at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 11:32:03 PDT 2007

Seems that the synaptics driver is broken when used with Xserver git:

(II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.14.6 (1406)
(--) Synaptics Touchpad auto-dev sets device to /dev/input/event1
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: No Device specified.
Synaptics driver unable to open device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Synaptics Touchpad"
(II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"

Relevant lines of xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Driver        "synaptics"
    Option        "CorePointer"        "true"
    Option        "Device"        "/dev/psaux"
    Option        "Protocol"        "auto-dev"
    Option        "SHMConfig"        "true"
    Option        "HorizScrollDelta"    "0"
EndSection

This is against xserver and synaptics git HEAD.

The touchpad works, but in legacy mode with no enhanced features like
on/off or vertical scrolling.  Near as I can tell some Xinput API has
been changed but I am at a loss as to how to fix it. Ideas, anyone?

--
Andrew Barr

We matter more than pounds and pence,
your economic theory makes no sense...