Issues with the vnc module

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Aug 28 21:17:04 PDT 2007

Jay Mallar wrote:

> I have an off-the-beaten-path question I'm hoping you can help with...
>
> My system:
>
> Fedora Core 7
> Xorg v1.3.0 (Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 1.3)
> Linux 2.6.22.4
>
> I am running VNC by loading the "vnc" module via xorg.conf.  It all
> works well, with a few issues.
>
> 1) On my remote machine, the monitor is smaller than the monitor
> directly attached to the VNC host, so I end up with vertical/horizontal
> scrollbars.  Usable, but annoying.
>
> So, I added another Screen stanza in my xorg.conf with the "Modes" set
> to the display size I want.
>
> Here's the relevent info:
>
> Then, I simply run, from the command line, "startx -- :8 -screen Screen1".
>
> This starts a new KDE session on display :8 with my specified resolution.
>
> Now I can connect my remote machine to either :0 or :8 depending on
> which display I want.  Very cool.
>
> However - I'd like :8 to be started at bootup, and request login, or at
> least don't start as "root".
>
> How do I go about doing that?

Configure your display manager (xdm/gdm/kdm) accordingly. The details
vary between display managers and often between various distributions,
so either read the documentation or ask in a forum which deals with
your specific distribution.

For a stock XDM setup, the file in question is typically
/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers or /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers.

> 2)  When I connect my vnc client to the vnc server machine, I get a
> black screen.  For some reason, I have to go to my vnc server machine,
> and switch to desktop 8 (Alt-Ctrl-F8) and then the screen displays on my
> vnc client.
>
> Shouldn't this happen automatically?  What am I missing?

Both displays could be used simultaneously, but only one can use the
hardware at any given time.

If you want :8 to always be available for remote use, even when :0 is
active, use Xvnc rather than a hardware-based X server.