Issues with the vnc module

Jay Mallar lists at jaymallar.com
Tue Aug 28 08:37:32 PDT 2007

I have an off-the-beaten-path question I'm hoping you can help with...

My system:

Fedora Core 7
Xorg v1.3.0 (Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 1.3)
Linux 2.6.22.4

I am running VNC by loading the "vnc" module via xorg.conf.  It all
works well, with a few issues.

1) On my remote machine, the monitor is smaller than the monitor
directly attached to the VNC host, so I end up with vertical/horizontal
scrollbars.  Usable, but annoying.

So, I added another Screen stanza in my xorg.conf with the "Modes" set
to the display size I want.

Here's the relevent info:

Then, I simply run, from the command line, "startx -- :8 -screen Screen1".

This starts a new KDE session on display :8 with my specified resolution.

Now I can connect my remote machine to either :0 or :8 depending on
which display I want.  Very cool.

However - I'd like :8 to be started at bootup, and request login, or at
least don't start as "root".

How do I go about doing that?

2)  When I connect my vnc client to the vnc server machine, I get a
black screen.  For some reason, I have to go to my vnc server machine,
and switch to desktop 8 (Alt-Ctrl-F8) and then the screen displays on my
vnc client.

Shouldn't this happen automatically?  What am I missing?

--

-Jay