intel dualhead don't fly

Cry Regarder cry_regarder at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 22 13:01:44 PDT 2007

Folks,

I am trying to configure (fedora 7) a dualhead
configuration on a Q965 motherboard with two monitors.

I have a Dell 1800 LCD hanging off the VGA port.  This monitor supports
1280x1024.  I have a Dell 2407WFP which runs at 1920x1200, 60hz on the
DVI port (ADD2 card).

If only the DVI monitor is connected I can bring it up at 1920x1200 no problem.  If only the VGA monitor is connected, it comes up at 1280x1024 without problem.

If I then plug in the other monitor, I can get an xrandr output:

-----------------------------xrandr----------------------
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1200, maximum 4000 x 1200
VGA connected (normal left inverted right)
   1280x1024      60.0 +   75.0     59.9
   1152x864       74.8
   1024x768       75.1     60.0
   800x600        75.0     60.3
   640x480        75.0     60.0
   720x400        70.1
TMDS-1 connected 1920x1200+0+0 (normal left inverted right) 519mm x 324mm
   1920x1200      60.0*+
   1600x1200      59.9
   1680x1050      60.0
   1280x1024      75.0     59.9
   1152x864       74.8
   1024x768       75.1     60.0
   800x600        75.0     60.3
   640x480        75.0     60.0
   720x400        70.1
-----------------------------xrandr----------------------

In this case, TMDS-1 is the initial monitor.  If I do a
xrandr --output VGA --left-of TMDS-1 --mode "1280x1024"

It seems to work, except that the VGA monitor has no picture until the mouse moves onto it and then it goes crazy like the timings are all bad.  This happens at all the above resolutions.

I have to do a xrandr --output VGA --off

A similar phenomenon happens if I start with the VGA monitor.  I've tried many different modelines, refreshes, etc.  Very rarely, I will get both monitors working, but then when I restart X, they won't be.

One of the xorg.conf's I've tried:

--------------xorg.conf--------------
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "single head configuration"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        ModelName    "Dell 2407WFP (Digital)"
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "intel"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Virtual 4000 1200
        EndSubSection
EndSection

I've also tried turning on and off swcursor with no change in behavior.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to get this setup running reliably!  Also, where is the best place to put xrandr scripts for repeatable configurations?  Can they be specified in gdm so the choices can be selected prior to login?

Cry