X installation question

R.L. Horn lists at eastcheap.org
Tue Aug 21 19:18:15 PDT 2007

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, Michel wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Here are some newbies questions ;) :
>
> I would like to run applications  in a text mode server that will provide
> graphical interface to some clients through network.
> This applications never display anything on the text mode server.
>
> My question : Do I need to install a complete X ( With my few knowlegdes of
> X, it means that  when  I connect  to  the  server,  I will have
> an user interface with mouse cursor as in a workstation)? or do I only have
> to install X librairies?

You'll probably want everything except the server.  The fonts can either
be on the machines running the servers (i.e. the clients :)), or you can
keep them on the machine with the apps and libraries and run xfs (or you
can have some combination of the two).

In other words, everything except what's in the xserver, driver, and,
maybe, font directories.