color calibration and xvideo (xv)

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 14:35:35 PDT 2007

On 8/21/07, Friedrich Schiller <freddy_schiller at yahoo.de> wrote:

> Many thanks for your answers, they are very helpful!
>
> Here is some more info:
>
> - The graphics hardware in question is an ATI Radeon R250 chip
>   (Mobility FireGL 9000).
>
> - in xorg.conf I specified the standard xorg "radeon" driver
>   (version as provided in Debian Etch).
>
> - So far to I found that this driver/chip combination is pretty
>   well supported by xorg, including hardware accelerated 3D.
>
> So I am not sure whether this driver/chip uses Legacy XV overlays
> (as suggested by Lukáš Hejtmánek)?  Can this be changed somehow
> in the xorg.conf file ?

yes.  It only supports Xv via overlay at the moment.

> I will also have a closer look at "xvattr". Thanks for suggesting it,
> and for pointing out that the overlay plane may need
> its own color correction.

the radeon overlay has full correction capabilities, most of which are
exposed as Xv attributes.  You can actually get a lot more fine
grained than we currently expose, but that gets to be more than most
people need.  Take a look at radeon_video.c for more info if you are
interested.

Alex