Problem displaying special fonts with xterm

Peter Andrews pa01 at gtps.math.cmu.edu
Sun Aug 19 14:56:31 PDT 2007

	This problem concerns the display of some special fonts using
xterm while running under Unix or Linux.

	For many years our automated theorem proving system TPS
(which is available from http://gtps.math.cmu.edu/tps.html)
has displayed output featuring special characters by using a specially
designed font containing these characters in place of what is usually
the font containing boldface characters while using the the X window
system.

	A directory containing fonts named vtsingle.bdf, vtsingle.onx,
vtsymbold.bdf, and vtsymbold.onx was put on the fontpath, and TPS was
started up with the command

xterm -fn vtsingle -fb vtsymbold -e tps

When commands for displaying formulas of logic were executed, these
formulas would be displayed on the monitor using the special characters.

	This worked fine using Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla),
SuSE Linux 9.3 (i586), and earlier versions of Unix and Linux,
but it does not work with SUSE LINUX 10.1 (i586). In the latter case
what should be a nice logical formula is simply displayed as

;xi[Roi x - Poi x] [ ;x[~Qoi x - R x] - ;x.P x \ Q x

	It has been suggested that the special fonts used by TPS are
very old, and need to be upgraded. I would welcome pointers to relevant
information about fonts.

	Of course, there might be some other explanation for this
problem. I would welcome comments and suggestions.

	I realize that more information may be needed in order to
diagnose this problem, and I shall be happy to try to supply it.

	This part of TPS was set up long ago by research assistants
who are no longer available.

					Peter B. Andrews
					Professor of Mathematics
					Department of Mathematical Sciences