Switching Between Laptop and External with Intel Driver

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Aug 19 13:15:55 PDT 2007

Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> I'm using xf86-video-intel-2.1.1 on 915GM based laptop. I would like to
> switch between a high resolution external VGA monitor and the internal
> lower resolution LCD without logging out and restarting the X server.
>
> I want each monitor to get its native resolution, with the Gnome desktop
>   just expanding and contracting when I switch.
>
> While I build the driver myself, I'm using the Ubuntu provided "X Window
> System Version 7.2.0", which is randr 1.1. Is 1.2 which I need to get
> the functionality I'm looking for?

Yes. You'll need a server compatible with RandR 1.2 to get this working
as you desire.

I'd be very surprised if there is not an experimental build of Xserver
1.3 (1.2 would do, but you may as well use the latest eh?!!) available
for you under Ubuntu somewhere. Perhaps some other Ubuntu users can give
you more pointers.

You may have to update the Mesa install along with the xserver.

> Is there any workaround to avoid the login/logout switching with the
> existing server?

'fraid not. This is what RandR 1.2 was designed for and thus you need to
get an xserver that support it.

> If I do have to replace the server, is anyone packaging a randr 1.2
> server for Ubuntu?

Like I say I don't know personally but I'd be very very suprised if you
cant find one.

> Also, what is the relationship between the xorg-server versions 1.0 -1.3
> (1.3.99 appears to be the latest), and the 7.2 numbering I see in the
> packaged distributions?

7.2 refers to the collection of packages that combine to make up Xorg.
This stems from the old Monolithic build (6.x and before) which was
modularised when 7.x was released. Basically what made up Xorg is really
lots and lots of smaller components that all move separately at separate
development speeds etc. One of the components is the Xserver which is
currently at 1.3 stable. Occasionally when the timing is right, an Xorg
release is made. This is really just a recommendation - i.e. 7.3 means
xserver v1.4, intel driver v2.2, radeon driver vX.Y, xterm vX.Y etc. etc.

Most distributions are now shipping the individual versions of the
separate components (e.g. they have followed the upstream
modularisation) and upgrade them as and when they are available rather
than in one big update. That said it's still convenient to say vX of
distro Y includes Xorg vZ from a marketing/quick info perspective.

HTH

Col