Switching Between Laptop and External with Intel Driver

Adam Lantos hege at playma.org
Sun Aug 19 13:09:26 PDT 2007

hi,

you will definitely need xrandr-1.2 for that (don't know about ubuntu
so much, but for gentoo there are separate packages for xrandr client
and libXrandr library, i suppose that ubuntu also have these packages
for modular Xorg)

and then run command

#xrandr --output VGA --auto --output LVDS --off
to switch to the external monitor

#xrandr --output LVDS --auto --output VGA --off
to switch to the laptop-panel.

output configuration is hotplugged, so you won't have to restart the X server.

yours,
 Adam