GMA965-X3100 woes

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at b4net.lt
Sun Aug 19 12:03:40 PDT 2007

On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 03:38:18PM +0200, Jack Malmostoso wrote:
> I am the proud owner of a laptop with an Intel GMA965 chipset.
> I use version 2.1.1-1 of the intel driver as provided by Debian Sid with
> Xorg version 1.3.

Same situation here, except I have Ubuntu Gutsy.  Same version of the
intel driver.

> 1) XV video does not work with XAA and composite, but this is known and a
> bug has been filed. Using EXA makes it "work", but output is extremely jerky
> and cpu-intensive. Any fixes for this?

I use plain old X11 video with software scaling.  The output is slightly
jerky, and CPU usage is at 30% for both cores.

I couldn't get EXA to work -- when I tried it, my X server started
segfaulting during login.

> 2) External VGA support is giving me the most trouble: if I plugin a monitor
> or a beamer, I can successfully query it with "xrandr -q", but if I start
> the VGA output with "xrandr --output VGA --auto" (or even specifying a mode
> among those listed) I get blank screen on both monitors (LCD and VGA). The
> fun thing is that the mouse cursor is visible on both screens, but all the
> rest is not. Can anybody confirm?

Have you tried restarting compiz (if you're running it)?  I don't
remember ever getting two blank screens with a visible mouse cursor, but
I've had one and a half blank screens with a visible mouse cursor.  A
compiz restart helped me.

> 3) If I restart X with a VGA monitor connected, both monitors are set at the
> VGA's maximum resolution: this leads to annoying consequences, because my
> LCD is widescreen (1280x800) while all the monitors I have tried are not.
> Until now I only tried with 1280x1024, and what I see is that my LCD goes on
> 1280x1024 too: on the VGA I see the full screen, while on my internal LCD I
> miss the lower part of the screen.

I think xrandr will tell you LVDS is at 1280x800.  The intel driver
doesn't support panning with the mouse, though, so you see the topmost
half of the screen.

You're talking about a clone mode, right?

> In order to have fullscreen output on the
> VGA I have to drag the window on the "invisible" part of the LCD and then
> maximize it (or full-screen, like F5 in OO.o Impress).
> If I change the LCD's resolution back to 1280x800, I get blank screen on the
> LCD and the VGA stays just the same.

Strange.

> Is there a way to force two different maximum resolutions?

It works for me with xrandr (and an occassional compiz restart).

> Is MergedFB an option?

xrandr 1.2 supersedes MergedFB.

> Thanks for your help, here is my xorg.conf:
>
> jack at vasquez:~$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Mine is shorter: no options in the Device section, just a Virtual
setting in the Screen section so that I could use xrandr to choose a
resolution larger than 1280x800.

Marius Gedminas
--
Never trust a computer you can't repair yourself.