Compiz Fusion and Xv on the Intel 965GM

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at b4net.lt
Tue Aug 14 03:13:56 PDT 2007

On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 09:04:20PM -0400, nikosapi wrote:
> I have a 965GM graphics chipset in my laptop. When using compiz, Xv video is
> slow (especially when scaled to fullscreen) and it pegs one core of my
> processor at 100%. I'm using EXA acceleration and I set the TripleBuffer
> option to true.

I have the same chipset in my Lenovo T61.  I use XAA since EXA makes my
X server segfault on login (when starting compiz, perhaps).  I haven't
investigated the crashes yet, nor tried a newer version of the intel
driver.

mplayer -vo x11 -zoom eats 30% of both CPU cores (although I guess 10%
of that is taken by the gnome-system-monitor window on the other
monitor).  The video is not smooth, though, I see some tearing.

> I've tried with and without the TripleBuffer option with no avail. When I
> don't use EXA acceleration the video won't even show up: mplayer spits
> out "X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)"

I've heard on #xorg on freenode that this is a know bug.

> I tried searching the xorg bug tracker without any luck, is this a known
> problem? Or have I just configured something wrong?

Marius Gedminas
--
Those who don't understand Linux are doomed to reinvent it, poorly.