Compiz Fusion and Xv on the Intel 965GM

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Aug 14 01:01:56 PDT 2007

nikosapi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a 965GM graphics chipset in my laptop. When using compiz, Xv video is
> slow (especially when scaled to fullscreen) and it pegs one core of my
> processor at 100%. I'm using EXA acceleration and I set the TripleBuffer
> option to true.
>
> I've tried with and without the TripleBuffer option with no avail. When I
> don't use EXA acceleration the video won't even show up: mplayer spits
> out "X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)"
>
> I tried searching the xorg bug tracker without any luck, is this a known
> problem? Or have I just configured something wrong?

For the sake of completeness I should mention that Compiz (core not the
Fusion plugins) contains a "Video" plugin.

With this plugin enabled and a patch to the mplayer Xv output posted to
the Compiz mailing list by David Reveman recently, the BadAlloc you
experienced when not using EXA (XAA), is solved. The speed is still not
quite as fast as it is without the compositing manager running but it
makes for a more convenient user experience.

I should state that I wasn't able to get Xv output working from apps
that USE mplayer libs (e.g. mplayerplugin) but the raw command line
version worked fine for me. YMMV.

HTH

Col