ADD2 card compatability?

Russell Shaw rjshaw at netspace.net.au
Mon Aug 13 08:48:57 PDT 2007

Andrew J. Barr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> apologies if this has already been asked before, but as there's a few
> Intel employees on this list, and this is an Intel graphics-related
> question, I thought I'd try here first.
>
> I am getting a bit tired of the ghosting on my 1440x900 LCD monitor
> that is connected via analog VGA to my G965-based motherboard
> (DG965RY).

I found some funny analog vga effects when i was driving a Viewsonic
VX2245wm 1650x1024 flat screen.

I found it's a horizontal spacial interference effect caused by the analog
pixels not aligning with the lcd screen physical pixels. I didn't look at
the vga with a cro so i don't know why. It was obvious the effect was because
the screen was 1650 pixels but the analog trace was covering something
slightly more or less, like 1600 or 1700 pixels, which would cause any
long horizontal line to fade in and out horizontally with a frequency of
every couple dozen pixels. This could seem like ghosting to the uninitiated.

By adjusting the on-screen width and position controls slowly, you can
see the intereference effect change, and i got it just right so that the
effect was gone completely. After that, the analog display was just as
clear and sharp as digital dvi mode with no ghosting at all.