blurry image on Intel graphics through an add-on DVI card

Lintula bugreports2005 at cs.tut.fi
Thu Apr 26 04:30:58 PDT 2007

Keith Packard wrote:
>> We are having an unexpected problem with add-on DVI cards to Lenovo M55
>> model 8808-97G and 8811-92G workstations. While they do work in the
>> sense of displaying graphics, the result is unsatisfactory due to
>> looking blurred.
> I saw this briefly during development of the modesetting driver with the
> G965 chipset. It was caused by the panel fitting register being enabled
> on the SDVO output pipe and should be fixed in the 2.0 version of the
> driver. What version are you using?

We are using the driver version 1.6.5. This is what Gentoo offers as
current and also what RHEL5 ships.

The 2.0 version of the driver has entered Gentoo only in the past few
days. It's marked as unstable, and from what I've seen of it this far
does not make me think it ready for production use. The image looks like
it could be clear now, though. I can't say for sure, because I've not
yet been able to get it display the native resolutions of the screens I
have here.

Is it possible to patch this issue in the older driver?