Problems with xf86-intel-i810 2.0.0 on 855GM

Christian Weiske cweiske at cweiske.de
Tue Apr 24 07:53:05 PDT 2007

Hello,

I am using xf86-intel-i810 version 2.0.0 and xorg-server 1.3.0 on
Gentoo. When starting X, my laptop display (1400x1050) shows a "band" on
the left side, approx. 1/5th of the screen. This band is flickering and
you can see (if you try hard) the xterm windows. Mouse is also visible
and can be moved, the xterm windows can be dragged, too - but all
flickering, and only on the left band.
There is another band directly right of the left band which displays a
whole different part of the screen (as it seems; only visible when
moving windows to a certain position). So: The screen is totally unusable.

When attaching an external VGA display with 1024x768, it displays the
screen in all its glory without any flickering.

xrandr shows
>  SZ:    Pixels          Physical       Refresh
> *0   1024 x 768    ( 305mm x 228mm )  *60
>  1    800 x 600    ( 305mm x 228mm )   60
>  2    640 x 480    ( 305mm x 228mm )   60
> Current rotation - normal
> Current reflection - none
> Rotations possible - normal left inverted right
> Reflections possible - none
(if the external display is attached or not)

Now I tried to switch resolutions - any of them make the laptop LCD go
totally black, as if deactivated. The external display shows the screen
with the new resolution. Switching back to 1024x768 does not make the
lcd go on again.

My xorg.log can be found on http://tmp.cweiske.de/xorg.0.log-1

What I don't understand is that it seems to me that 1400x1050 is
detected, but not used at all.

--
Regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Christian Weiske