busted randr refresh rate breaks radeon mergedfb

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 00:58:44 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm running a master server and latest ATI driver, and when I use
mergedfb I'm having trouble getting it to switch modes using randr
1.0, this used to work with the older radeon driver, but some changes
to report a more likely refresh rate seem to have screwed this up..

[root at starflyer xserver]# xrandr
 SZ:    Pixels          Physical       Refresh
 0   2048 x 768    ( 916mm x 356mm )   612
*1   2704 x 1050   ( 916mm x 356mm )  *22

is what I get reported, however mode->VRefresh is actually 6073 in both cases.

So when randr -s goes to check the mode list of course 612 doesn't
equal 6073 at any point,

This happens in xf86RandRSetConfig
	if (mode->HDisplay == pSize->width &&
	    mode->VDisplay == pSize->height &&
	    (rate == 0 || xf86RandRModeRefresh (mode) == rate))
	    break;

So the rate is 612 and the refresh is 6073 and guess what happens?

This is mainly cause by there being two functions, one DIX and one DDX

xf86RandRModeRefresh (DisplayModePtr *mode)
RRVerticalRefresh (xRRModeInfo *mode)

The RRVerticalRefresh seems to get called by the new randr-1.2 code
when talking to a randr-1.0 driver/server,
/*
 * Convert 1.2 monitor data into 1.0 screen data
 */
static RR10DataPtr
RR10GetData (ScreenPtr pScreen, RROutputPtr output)

calls it..

I've no idea who is mainly at fault or what the best way to fix this
regression quickly ..

Suggestions?
Dave.