Audio Skips when Scrolling in Firefox (was: Re: Powerbook RV350 Performance)

Michel Dänzer michel at tungstengraphics.com
Fri Apr 20 01:28:51 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 16:12 -0400, Andrew J. Barr wrote:

> Andrew J. Barr wrote:
> >> You need to install drm (libdrm-dev, but you might need a newer version
> >> from git).
> >
> > Successful build with libdrm from git. Thank you!
>
> Bah, scrolling in Firefox + Compiz still makes music skip (whereas it
> does not in Metacity), but with the aiglx-zero-copy-tfp patches
> performance is much improved, notably using the 'scale' (like Apple
> Expose) or alt+tab functionality doesn't cause flickering, where it did
> before.

Has the performance of the scrolling itself improved as well though? Can
you put up your current Xorg.0.log somewhere?

FWIW, I can't seem to get music to skip by scrolling in Iceweasel or
Galeon.

> I'm getting there, any suggestions as to what to do about the skipping
> or is this even relevant to X.org...perhaps I should take this problem
> elsewhere (e.g. debian-powerpc)?

There's certainly a lot of factors that could matter... The music player
(which sound API does it use, ...), the sound API layer, the kernel
(version? preemption? which kind? what HZ value? what nice level does
the X server run at? ...) etc.