xorg problem with Etch install

Michael Powell mlp at fewpb.net
Wed Apr 18 16:04:56 PDT 2007

Greetings!

I have a partition where I test things before actually installing new packages on my main partition.
Last evening, made sure the sources.list was pointed to "stable" (I am running Debian, which
just had a new release, codename "Etch"), and attempted to install a few new packages.  One
of them was iceweasel, which depended on xorg also being installed.

I allowed apt to do so.  I am now having problems getting X to start.  I have checked the FAQ
and did not find any of the listed errors in my log file.  I do realize that I don't have the latest
version installed, but it is the most-current version maintained by Debian.  I am figuring the
problem is between the keyboard and desk chair, but I thought I'd post a little of the output, and
see if you all could see anything amiss.

There are no (EE) messages, but there is one at the end (which also shows on the screen)
that seems odd.  I have checked the xorg.conf settings against those that were set for
xfree, and they all match.  Here are some snipits from the log that will give you some idea
as to how the system is configured.  I can provide the whole log upon request, and can also
provide any additional info on the system.  I am not real sure what all matters and what does
not!

X Window System Version 7.1.1
Release Date: 12 May 2006
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.1.1
Build Operating System: UNKNOWN
Build Date: 04 April 2007
	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
          [...]
(II) NV: driver for NVIDIA chipsets: RIVA 128, RIVA TNT, RIVA TNT2,
          [...]
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(--) Chipset RIVA TNT found
        [...]
(--) NV(0): DDC detected a CRT:
(II) NV(0): Manufacturer: DEL  Model: f001  Serial#: 876099923
(II) NV(0): Year: 2007  Week: 6
(II) NV(0): EDID Version: 1.3
(II) NV(0): Analog Display Input,  Input Voltage Level: 0.700/0.700 V
(II) NV(0): Sync:  Separate
(II) NV(0): Max H-Image Size [cm]: horiz.: 34  vert.: 27
(II) NV(0): Gamma: 2.20
(II) NV(0): DPMS capabilities: StandBy Suspend Off; RGB/Color Display
(II) NV(0): Default color space is primary color space
(II) NV(0): First detailed timing is preferred mode
(II) NV(0): redX: 0.640 redY: 0.340   greenX: 0.279 greenY: 0.619
(II) NV(0): blueX: 0.140 blueY: 0.069   whiteX: 0.310 whiteY: 0.330
         [...]
FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc" refcount is 2,
  should be 1; fixing.

That FreeFontPath message is the last line in the log, and is the message that also
shows up on the screen after xorg attempts to run.

Thanks!