[Linux-fbdev-devel] Radeon X300, radeonfb, dual head

Hans-Jürgen Koch hjk at linutronix.de
Wed Apr 18 08:02:20 PDT 2007

Am Mittwoch, 18. April 2007 15:45 schrieb Michel Dänzer:
> On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 14:09 +0200, Hans-Jürgen Koch wrote:
> >
> > 1.) I compiled radeonfb statically into my kernel and booted with
> > video=radeonfb:1280x1024-32 at 60. This works fine, the framebuffer
> > console works as expected. But the X server doesn't come up
> > properly. Xorg.0.log ends like this:
> >
> > [...]
> > (**) RADEON(0): RADEONSaveScreen(2)
> > (**) RADEON(0): FIFO timed out: 2 entries, stat=0x80026102
> > (EE) RADEON(0): FIFO timed out, resetting engine...
>
> Please file a bug for this at http://bugs.freedesktop.org if it hasn't
> been reported yet.

I'll do that, but want to experiment a little bit more first.

> Does this also happen if you don't enable the DRI?

Thanks for reminding me - I didn't enable DRM in my kernel yet, so DRI
was always off. I now enabled it, and (to answer your question), this is
no issue. Even AIGLX starts up properly, but everything else is as before.

I still have the same picture on both monitors.

> > 2.) I compiled vesafb statically, radeonfb only as module. If I boot
> > with vga=0x318, the framebuffer console works as expected. The
> > X server starts up, Xorg.0.log looks good (except that DRI is disabled).
> >
> > But when kdm comes up, I see the same picture on both monitors. What I
> > see looks like the right half of the 3360x1050 desktop (mouse can be
> > moved across the left border of the screen, stops at the right border).
> > Both screens are driven properly with 1680x1050. I tried several
> > modifications of my xorg.conf, but never managed to get different
> > images on the two monitors, they always show the same.
>
> [...]
>
> >         Option          "MonitorLayout" "TMDS,TMDS"
>
> The driver doesn't support this combination yet, and it doesn't match
> your setup anyway.

Well, the manpage says:

CRT -- Analog CRT monitor
TMDS -- Desktop flat panel

So I thought the latter would be appropriate for two LCD monitors.
The manpage also doesn't mention any illegal combinations.

> What happens if you comment out this option or change
> it to "CRT,CRT"?

Nothing, no change.

Thanks,
Hans