Intel GMA 950 driving 1920x1080 over DVI?

Jason Tackaberry tack at urandom.ca
Tue Apr 17 08:47:21 PDT 2007

Hi,

I am in the process of building a new HTPC and I am very keenly eying
motherboards offering Intel GMA as they seem to be the best state for
OSS drivers. I am specifically looking at the MSI 945GT
(http://tinyurl.com/2aubxn) as it has both S-video and DVI ports
integrated, which will ease my eventual transition to an HDTV (as I
won't need to purchase a separate ADD2 card).

The biggest unknown right now is whether or not the DVI port will drive
a signal at 1920x1080. I'm getting very conflicting information about
this on the web. There was previously a discussion on this list (at
http://tinyurl.com/2sx5ub) about this very question, but the discussion
seemed to wander a bit, and didn't discuss whether or not DVI
specifically could drive 1920x1080. Some specs I'm reading indicate VGA
can do 1920x1200 but DVI only 1600x1200. Others imply differently.

So I was hoping for a definitive answer here. Does anyone know for
certain if the DVI port on the MSI 945GT will be able to output at
1920x1080? If not, would that also rule out the ability to output
1920x1080 using an HDMI ADD2 card? Does anyone have any other
recommendations?

Thanks much,
Jason.

P.S. My apologies if this post ends up being a dupe; I previously sent
it from the wrong email account by accident, but the list moderator may
yet approve it.