LCD, pan, randr1.2, and pan-to-downscale

Austin Yuan yuanshengquan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 19:12:30 PDT 2007

On 4/16/07, Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-04-15 at 18:09 +0800, Austin Yuan wrote:
>
> >  I am curious whether randr1.2 has addressed this
> > pan-to-downscale feature, and will it support it in future?
>
> Yes, I have patches against an older version of the Intel driver which
> implement down-scaling. While those patches are not of specific
> interest, the need for this functionality is clear. It should be
> straight forward to take the existing rotation code and modify it to
> support downscaling and upscaling. In fact, we can perform arbitrary
> projective transformations on the content with the current underlying
> implementation; the only need here is to expose that to the user.

Yes, I understand it. I saw rotation code was taken away from latest
Intel driver. Do you mean down-scaling will be support in future
version of randr, or it is already supported by randr1.2?

I happen to think the traditional "overlay" for Xvideo. Overlay buffer
is usually separated with front buffer, although rotation code is
moved to randr, it seems overlay code still needs to care about what
the current rotation degree is, and texture video may haven't this
issue.