Probably silly Q..

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Apr 16 07:12:48 PDT 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Did I get what was expected?  I've never had glxinfo kill x before that I
>>> can recall.
>> If you've upgraded some x libraries, you might have your nvidia
>> libraries overwritten.  I seem to remember an upgrade of libGL.so had
>> this effect for me.  The solution was to force a reinstall of the
>> nvidia driver.
>
> This may have been a good idea, I'd been copying the driver into the kernel
> tree's as I boot each new kernel, which may be 1-5 times a day as I play
> canary on the lkml.  Currently running 2.6.21-rc7-CFS-v2, feels very good
> indeed.  User interactivity is helped by several orders IMNSHO, something
> that the 2.6 family of kernels has been woefully unable to do till now.
>
> This is the 2.6.21-rc7 patch, onto an unpacked 2.6.20 tree, followed by Ingo
> Molnars  sched-cfs-v2-rc0.patch.
>
> Anyway I exited x and did the re-install, and now glxinfo runs as expected.

My distro (Mandriva) and others use the DKMS system to ensure that the
correct kernel modules are built at each boot and they also ensure that
the mesa libGL are never overwritten either due to the use of
alternatives etc.

I'd advise seeking a similar system for your distro and avoid using the
nvidia installer which is just too generic to prevent these kind of
things happening (not nvidias fault per se).

When I reboot to a new kernel, the drivers are just automatically
compiled as part of the boot process (assuming they have not already
been built.

Col.