RANDR 1.2 vs libxinerama?

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Mon Apr 16 02:48:45 PDT 2007

On Apr 13, 07 15:45:48 -0300, Keith Packard wrote:
> Xinerama is deprecated only in that it doesn't support everything that
> RandR 1.2 can (mostly it only supports a single screen). However, the
> RandR 1.2 implementation in the server also provides an implementation
> of the Xinerama extension for compatibility with existing applications.
>
> This RandR-based Xinerama implementation works fine for me.
>
> > screen 0 [ 0/0 - 1024/768 ]
> > screen 1 [ 0/0 - 1400/1050 ]
>
> Xinerama screens are equivalent to RandR CRTCs. Xinerama should have
> used a term other than 'screen' which is already defined for core X.

But behavior obviously changed with RandR 1.2, because both KDE and
Gnome used libXinerama for multiscreen detection before.

And in that particular case, only a single monitor was connected, so the
"screen"s in libXinerama now represent CRTCs and not active CRTCs.

> > now, on nvidia twinview libxinerama seems to be working allright, and xrandr
> > returns nonsense:
>
> I don't know what nVidia's driver is doing these days.

Sure :)
But maybe Andy can comment on that.

Thanks

Matthias