RANDR 1.2 vs libxinerama?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Apr 13 11:45:48 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 19:04 +0200, Matthias Hopf wrote:

> it is my understanding that libxinerama is being deprecated in favor of xrandr.
> right now on intel hardware, libxinerama returns nonsense, namely it lists
> deactivated displays as screens:

Xinerama is deprecated only in that it doesn't support everything that
RandR 1.2 can (mostly it only supports a single screen). However, the
RandR 1.2 implementation in the server also provides an implementation
of the Xinerama extension for compatibility with existing applications.

This RandR-based Xinerama implementation works fine for me.

> screen 0 [ 0/0 - 1024/768 ]
> screen 1 [ 0/0 - 1400/1050 ]

Xinerama screens are equivalent to RandR CRTCs. Xinerama should have
used a term other than 'screen' which is already defined for core X.

In any case, this output indicates that there are two CRTCs, one
1024x768 and the other 1400x1050.

> now, on nvidia twinview libxinerama seems to be working allright, and xrandr
> returns nonsense:

I don't know what nVidia's driver is doing these days.

> This conflict has to be resolved, as it confuses KDE and possibly other desktop
> environments trying to figure out the screen setup.

The output above seems sensible to me, at least in the Intel case.

keith.packard at intel.com