i810 driver scope

Daniel Krippner dk.mailbox at gmx.net
Mon Apr 16 02:25:42 PDT 2007

    Hi list,

First of all, thanks for the work on xorg and all that's build around it.
I have a question concerning the intel drivers delivered with current xorg releases (maybe stupid, but it's a bit unclear to me at the moment no matter where I look): is the i810 driver containing the same code as the xf86-video-intel driver from the intellinuxgraphics.org page? Or will there be an 'intel'-driver for xorg distributed with the various distros, which is built from the intel code? Or has that already happended, in form of the i965 xorg driver that's supposed to be e.g. in Ubuntu Feisty (just read somewhere that that driver's supposed to be there, will look myself this afternoon)? And, as I understand it: currently, no driver has the 915resolution-modesetting stuff built-in, which means I have to use the extra package, and the option forceResolution in my xorg.conf, plus the /etc/default/ settings? But the 915resolution-fix would work with the intellinux intel driver, which I am currently using?
Ok, that was five questions, but between all the intel-related drivers I came across since I build my new computer, I couldn't find a really definite statement saying what is what.
Regards, and thanks for your time,
    Daniel