A few question about kdrive installation

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 11:11:13 PDT 2007

On 4/11/07, Steve Kreyer <steve.kreyer at web.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first of all thanks for your answer.
>
> Ross Burton wrote:
> > Shouldn't you be using prefix=/usr and then DESTDIR=/rootfs-i386 at make
> > install time so that the paths inside the server are valid?
> > (unless /rootfs-i386/usr exists on the target too).
> >
> Oh yes you are right, but if I follow your solution I get dependency
> problems, because when installing any X library which depends on
> another, autoconf detects the library path and include paths according
> to pkg-config tool, but this itself of course only returns the
> PREFIX/include or PREFIX/lib respectivly, not DESTDIR/PREFIX/include
> (|lib). So this results in compilation or linking errors. Do you have
> any idea how the latter  can be achieved (so that pkg-config returns the
> whole path)?

The problem is that this is not how DESTDIR is intended to be used.
DESTDIR is just a staging area designed for packagers. The
libraries/headers/pkgconfig files need to be in PREFIX for this to
work. That's how you've configured the package to be used and that's
where the other packages expect them to be.

If you just want to put everything in a temporary location, just use
PREFIX=/wherever and forget about DESTDIR. If you want to put
everything into a temporary location and have it work then later move
it to /usr and have it still work, then that's a much tougher problem.
Symlinking could solve your problem, but the most correct way is to
build with --prefix=/wherever while testing and then rebuild with
--prefix=/usr when you're sure you want to overwrite the system's X
installation. Or wherever you're preferred X location is, e.g.
/usr/X11R7.

--
Dan