Modular build fails for drivers - ./configure syntax error

Brian Paul brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com
Tue Apr 10 12:59:30 PDT 2007

david rankin wrote:
> I am having a bad day.... I am trying to compile the modular build with
> the build.sh script and I am recieving the following errors:
>
> First, I have having problems with LIBDRM and get the following errors:

When you configured/compiled/installed libdrm, where did it go?  I.e.
did you use ./autogen.sh with the --prefix option?

If you run 'pkg-config --libs libdrm' what does it say?

I'm guessing that libdrm was installed in /usr/local so your package
config path will need to include /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/

It's probably simplest to go into lib/libdrm and do './autogen.sh
--prefix=/tmp/modular ; make install' to put libdrm in the same location
as the rest of your X build.

> checking for LIBDRM... configure: error: Package requirements (libdrm >=
> 2.3.0) were not met.
> Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
> installed software in a non-standard prefix.
>
> Alternatively you may set the LIBDRM_CFLAGS and LIBDRM_LIBS environment
> variables
> to avoid the need to call pkg-config.  See the pkg-config man page for
> more details.

You could try 'export
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/tmp/modular/lib/pkgconfig/:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/'
before ./autogen.sh --prefix=/tmp/modular in xserver/, if you want to
build by hand.

> ***** autogen failed on xserver/
> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
> ***** make failed on xserver/
> make: *** No rule to make target `dist'.  Stop.
> ***** dist failed on xserver/
> make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.
> ***** install failed on xserver/
>
> Second, none of the drivers compile and I receive the following error:
>
> ./configure: line 20463: syntax error near unexpected token `RANDR,'
> ./configure: line 20463: `XORG_DRIVER_CHECK_EXT(RANDR, randrproto)'
> ***** autogen failed on driver/xf86-video-i740
> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
> ***** make failed on driver/xf86-video-i740
> make: *** No rule to make target `dist'.  Stop.
> ***** dist failed on driver/xf86-video-i740
> make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.
> --
> ./configure: line 20589: syntax error near unexpected token `XINERAMA,'
> ./configure: line 20589: `XORG_DRIVER_CHECK_EXT(XINERAMA, xineramaproto)'
> ***** autogen failed on driver/xf86-video-intel
> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
> ***** make failed on driver/xf86-video-intel
> make: *** No rule to make target `dist'.  Stop.
> ***** dist failed on driver/xf86-video-intel
> make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.
> --

I think this is a side-effect of your X server not building/installing
all the way.

> I suspect the two are related. I will try compiling drm by hand before
> running build.sh. What should my PKG_CONFIG_PATH be if I have the drm
> source in /tmp/src/drm and I build drm by hand in that place? Any other
> suggestions and advise are really welcome.

-Brian