[ANNOUNCE] A Build System For X.Org Modular

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 14:07:00 PDT 2007

What is with all the attitude lately against Xorg?  It's a huge,
understaffed project, and yet everyone seems happy to complain that
it's hard/it's stupid/we're assholes unless someone holds their hand
through every step.  Most of us are just volunteers that do this in
our spare time.  We try and help as much as possible and I feel we do
a pretty good job.  Unfortunately, not all of us have every piece of
hardware ever made, or feel like spelling out the process xyz for the
tenth time because some user doesn't want to exert any effort to try
and figure it out himself.  It might even take a few days or a week to
get back to you as other projects/work/life sometimes have to take
precedence.  I'm sorry you have to log into edit the wiki or post the
ML, but even with that in place we still get spam.  MOST projects have
something similar.  I assure you there is no cabal to keep X a guarded
secret; we'd like all the help we can get.  And before someone says
the build process is the impediment to get people on board, look at
how many more contributers and features have been added since the
XFree86 days.  I guess some people figured it out.  People used the
same argument back then as well (the monolith is too hard to build, I
don't want to rebuild everything just to try the latest radeon driver,
etc.).  If you don't like it, come up with a better way instead of
acting like a jerk and bitching about the hard work of those that have
contributed so far.  If you come up with a better approach we'll be
happy to discuss it (and I mean an actual approach, not just hand
waving and nostalgia).  Finally, if you do solve a tough problem, add
it to the wiki, or submit a patch, or at the very least send a email
to the list saying "hey, I had this problem and this is how I solved
it."

Alex