[ANNOUNCE] A Build System For X.Org Modular

Luca Dionisi luca.dionisi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 06:42:58 PDT 2007

On 4/4/07, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz at gentoo.org> wrote:
> Distro maintainers likely use the same packaging system they push out to
> end users. You won't find me using jhbuild or anything else for XOrg
> stuff. One-offs like testing a single new driver are trivial and don't
> require an XOrg-specific package manager.
>
> I guess I only see a reason for this if your distribution flavor of
> choice cannot keep X current (e.g., Debian stable). Are there others
> that I don't see?

What I meant was a little different.
For what I understand, when a new set of tarballs for X.org get
released, someone for a specific distro has to build them, prepare
a set of packages (RPM or similar), set the needed dependency
bits (specific to that distro) and so on. Only after that phase, the
specific packaging system for end users could be used.
Am I wrong?
Perhaps, testing a single new piece of code is trivial only if that new
code doesn't use a new lib, which uses a new extension,
which in turn uses a new version of the server and so on.
But I admit that I'm talking about something I don't master.

Regards
--Luca