[ANNOUNCE] A Build System For X.Org Modular

Donnie Berkholz dberkholz at gentoo.org
Wed Apr 4 00:49:05 PDT 2007

Luca Dionisi wrote:
> I think this is really a great thing.
> It seems to me that providing a easier way to
> build the whole thing to distro-maintainers and
> also to intrepid-end-users was indeed needed.
>
> I think this could result in more feedback from
> users, especially for drivers bits.
> It also could result in more time for distro-builders
> to go and test all of the many new features in
> x.org.

Distro maintainers likely use the same packaging system they push out to
end users. You won't find me using jhbuild or anything else for XOrg
stuff. One-offs like testing a single new driver are trivial and don't
require an XOrg-specific package manager.

I guess I only see a reason for this if your distribution flavor of
choice cannot keep X current (e.g., Debian stable). Are there others
that I don't see?

Thanks,
Donnie