Laptop resolution with the savage driver and xorg 7.1.1

Bernat Tallaferro bernat.tallaferro at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 10:38:28 PDT 2006

Thanks Alex, in the meantime I found out about this thanks to another
user with similar hardware which e-mailed me with his hsync and vrefresh
settings.

My main problem was that I've got a laptop from a kind of obscure
manufacturer[1], so I could not find the hsync and vrefresh frequencies.

In case this can be of any help to anyone, I've used

VertRefresh  55-61
HorizSync    31.5-80

and I'm finally getting the desired resolution (1024x760x24bpp).

However, still a couple of questions remain:

1) These frequency ranges seem to be working fine so far, but the
information does not come directly from the manufacturer, so is there a
way/tool or whatever to find out the hsync and vrefresh values when
there is no information available from the manufacturer of the laptop's
monitor?

2) Although I'm quite happy with the performance of the 'savage' driver
after the slowness of 'vesa', I do notice that it is not perfect: when
dragging windows over a graphical area, the system is not very
responsive, and you can really see that it takes at least one second to
redraw the area of screen over which the window was dragged. But what
annoys me most, is that I cannot run glxgears to measure the
performance. When I execute 'glxgears -info', there is the following
message displayed on the console: "libGL warning: 3D driver claims to
not support visual 0x4b", and although the glxgears window appears, it
is completely black, the usual gears do not appear. After googling a
bit, it seems to me that both issues might be unrelated, as the libGL
warning seems to be nothing critical. But what could the problem with
glxgears be?

'glxinfo | grep' reports

  direct rendering: Yes
  OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Twister 20050829 AGP 4x

so it seems that at least I'm using direct rendering. Could anyone give
some pointers to where I could start looking for the cause of glxgears
displaying the black screen?

Many thanks in advance.

[1] A Medion Microstar MD9643, rebranded under different names in
different countries, but ultimately all based on the FIC A360:
http://www.laptopsolutions.plc.uk/Fic_A360_A360+_Spec_Sheet.htm