Xresources examples in X.Org man pages

Igor Sobrado igor at string1.ciencias.uniovi.es
Sat Sep 23 08:37:01 PDT 2006

Hello.

X.Org (and the latest releases of XFree86 if I remember correctly)
has some problems formatting Xresources examples in the man pages.
I am currently using X11R6.9, but I suppose that the problem I am
outlining here exists on latest releases too.

Some examples of broken code listings:

  - xclipboard(1) -- resources code just before the SEE ALSO section.
  - xdm(1) -- code in the RESOURCES FILE section and the
    xlogin.Login.translations subsection.

I have looked as how Thomas Dickey managed this issue for NetBSD in
november 2004.  From his report "it is a scripting problem in the imake
configuration." and, indeed, it is unrelated to the roff sources.  He
points to this related bug report:

In short, it is a bug in the preprocessing stage not the roff source
code.  It seems that the xterm(1) source code has been "fixed" in
OpenBSD (or perhaps in X11R6.9) but the problem remains in a lot of
other X.Org manual pages.  The manual pages do not need to be fixed,
the way sections numbers are substituted in the preprocessing stage
*is* the source of the problem.

Can someone look at this problem?  Some Linux machines at my University
have the same behaviour than my NetBSD/OpenBSD workstations.  It should
be a widely known problem.

Cheers,
Igor.