Named initialisers and other hilarity

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Sep 19 16:33:50 PDT 2006

Hi,
I was diving through some KDrive code today and it annoyed me enough to
wonder seriously about named initialisers.  A quick straw poll on IRC
suggests that we really want named initialisers, inlines (goodbye
hundred-line macros of despair), mixed code and declarations[0], and
variadic macros (goodbye DPRINTF((x))).

Are there any platforms that either support 7.x, or will realistically
support 7.x quite soon, that don't support these features?  Full C99
compliance is uninteresting since a) the features aren't that
interesting, and b) gcc doesn't even do it; but mandating those four
specific features would be magic.

Cheers,
Daniel

[0]: Stuff like: